Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sonata No. 28 in D Minor



Started: 5-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Finished: 5-25-2008, 1:00 PM
Newport Beach, CA

I wrote this sonata in my office waiting for a client. This is one of those funny ones that started life as an idea scribbled somewhere (in this case at the bottom of a lease agreement) and ended up developing into a full sonata that I later went home and wrote out on actual manuscript paper.

This sonata moves along at a moderate pace; it's not overly fast or slow. I tend to think the point of hand crossings is to create natural popping effects and accents as the hands bounce around abruptly, but in this case the hand crossings are meant to be played much closer to a legato or portamento than than something pointy and articulated. No fireworks this time -- I'm going for something a little sexier here.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment